Baylin Technologies Inc.
Baylin Technologies Inc. and its subsidiaries (collectively, Baylin, we and our) are committed to conducting business in a way that complies with applicable privacy laws in each country in which we operate.
This policy describes our privacy practices and how we collect, use and disclose your personal information. Personal information generally refers to any information about an identifiable individual or that allows an individual to be identified, such as your name, address and contact details, including email address and phone number. This policy applies to how we collect, use and disclose the personal information of our customers, suppliers, business partners and other third parties with whom we do business or interact. We may also collect market-related information, which may include personal information, concerning ownership of our securities, market trends and activities impacting our business. This information may include contract terms, financial information and other information for the purpose of market analysis and strategic planning. We may also collect information related to our media, investor and public relations activities.
Generally, the Baylin entity that operates the website you visit or the entity that you transact with offline is the entity that acts as controller of any personal information collected through your interaction and is the entity that is primarily responsible for how personal information is used.
How do we collect your personal information?
We may collect your personal information directly from you, from third parties (with your consent or as permitted by law) or through our websites. Third parties may include credit bureaus, governments or government agencies, employment and other references, and social media platforms.
How do we obtain your consent?
By providing us with your personal information, you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of that information as described in this policy. The form of consent may vary depending on the circumstances and the type of information, and includes written or oral consent, implied consent and opt-out consent.
You may refuse to provide personal information and, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice, may withdraw consent at any time to the continued use and disclosure of personal information previously collected.
If you provide personal information of another individual, you represent and warrant that you have the authority to do so, including, where applicable, that you have the consent of that individual for us to collect, use or disclose that information.
Internet service providers
We collect information through our websites by applying various technologies without your actively providing the information.
Our websites are hosted on servers shared with one or more internet service providers (ISPs). Any personal information collected by ISPs on our behalf, such as server log information, is managed in accordance with this policy and is protected by applicable law.
Certain information about internet users’ traffic patterns is passively and automatically collected and linked to users’ internet protocol (IP) addresses. These unique IP addresses are assigned to all web users by their ISPs and are automatically logged by internet servers. While the IP address itself does not identify an individual, in appropriate circumstances, such as an investigation of a security breach, it may be used with the cooperation of an ISP to locate and identify an individual using our websites.
In the normal course of establishing and maintaining internet connections, our servers automatically log information about visits to our websites. Server logs record statistical information, such as a visitor’s IP address and type of operating system, the time and duration of visit and web pages requested. The server logs also identify categories of visitors by items such as domain and browser type. These statistics are reported in aggregate form to us and are used to improve our websites and ensure that they provide the optimal online experience for visitors.
We do not link server log information to any other information in a way that would enable us to identify individual visitors, except for security purposes, as previously discussed.
Like many other websites, our websites make use of “cookies”. Cookies are small text files that are automatically placed on your device when you visit a website. They allow the website to remember certain pieces of information about you, like your preferences (for example, language or location) and your browsing behaviour (for example, the webpages you visit). This information allows the website to recognize your device and remember your preferences when you return to the website from the same device and web browser. It is also used for web analytics. We use third-party web analytics services, such as those of Google Analytics. These third-party analytics providers use automated technologies such as cookies, web server logs and web beacons to evaluate use of a website.
Why we collect your personal information
We collect and use your personal information for various purposes, including, for example:
- to be able to provide our products and services;
- to be able to understand and improve our business or customer relationships generally with a view to improving our products and services and developing new ones;
- to respond to your enquiries and requests;
- to send you marketing and other promotional materials that we think might be of interest to you;
- to analyze and monitor our websites and their performance and other related purposes (for example, to understand your online activity and to assist us in improving our online presence);
- to protect against threats, such as security threats or fraud;
- to enable us to comply with applicable laws and regulations or legal processes, such as search warrants, subpoenas and court orders; and
- as permitted or required by applicable laws or regulations or for purposes for which you otherwise provide your consent.
Disclosure of your personal information
We may use or disclose your personal information:
- for the purposes described in this policy;
- as permitted or required by applicable laws or regulations or legal processes, such as search warrants, subpoenas and court orders;
- as necessary to operate our business;
- to third parties and service providers (inside or outside Canada) to assist us in operating our business, including, for example, in evaluating your creditworthiness, collecting outstanding debts or obtaining insurance, in providing goods or services to you, including technical support, marketing services, payment processing and legal services, and where necessary to provide urgent safety notices or product recalls;
- in connection with a business transaction involving Baylin;
- to governments or government agencies, regulatory agencies or stock exchanges to ensure compliance with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- to anyone who we reasonably believe is your agent; and
- for other purposes for which you have provided your consent.
Marketing and advertising
We may use your personal information to send you marketing information directly from us by mail, email, news release or SMS, where you have given your consent to such use (unless there is another lawful basis for using your personal information for marketing and advertising purposes in your jurisdiction, which does not require your consent). We may also use your personal information and information inferred from your personal information to tailor advertisements to your interests and preferences. This allows us to improve the relevance of our advertising to you.
How we store and process your personal information
The personal information we collect about you will be stored in a range of different places, including on our servers and in our information management systems and information bases (for example, our marketing information bases and customer support systems).
Because we operate around the world, we may process your personal information in different geographical locations, including outside Canada.
Your rights regarding your personal information
You have a number of rights regarding your personal information.
- Accessing your personal information. You can request a copy of the personal information we hold about you.
- Correcting and updating your personal information. You can ask us to correct or update your personal information at any time if you discover that it is inaccurate or out of date.
- Erasing your personal information. You can require us to erase personal information in certain circumstances and we will take reasonable steps to inform other controllers that are processing the information that you have requested the erasure of any links to or copies or replications of the information. Your personal information will be removed from our systems within a reasonable time and will be deleted or anonymized. However, we may retain a copy of your personal information (i) to the extent permitted or required by law, regulation, administrative or court order or for internal auditing purposes, or (ii) as electronic information stored due to automatic archiving and back-up procedures. If there is a legal dispute between you and us, your personal information may be retained until final settlement of the legal dispute.
- Objecting to or restricting the processing of your personal information. You can ask us to stop using all or some of your personal information (for example, if we have no lawful basis to keep using it) or restrict how we process it.
- Withdrawing your consent. Where we rely on your consent as the legal basis for processing your personal information, you can withdraw your consent at any time and you can prevent further processing if there is no other legal basis on which we can process your personal information.
- Transfer of your personal information. You can ask us to transfer the personal information that we hold about you to a third party electronically.
In order to make one of these requests, it must be in writing. When you make one of these requests, we may ask for specific information from you to enable us (i) to confirm your identity and your right to make the request and (ii) to search for and provide you with the information you have requested. To the extent permitted by law, we may charge you a fee to attend to your request; however, we will advise you of any fee in advance. If you require assistance in preparing your request, please contact our Chief Privacy Officer.
How long do we keep your personal information?
The period for which we hold your personal information is determined by a number of factors, including the purpose for which we use the personal information and our legal obligations. We do not generally retain personal information in an identifiable form for longer than is necessary, though in some cases we may choose to retain certain personal information in a depersonalized or aggregated form.
We may make changes to this policy at any time, including to reflect operational changes within Baylin or changes in the law. If we do, we will post the changes here and the display of the revised policy will be considered sufficient notice to you of the changes.
If you have any questions about this policy, how we use your personal information or how to exercise your rights, please contact our information privacy officer:
Address: Chief Privacy Officer
c/o Advantech Wireless Technologies Inc.
16715 Hymus Boulevard
Canada H9H 5M8
This policy was last updated on December 13, 2023.